Stack Overflow profile for md5sum

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

New Job, New Stuff

So lately I have found myself once again too busy to post on here. This seems like a recurring theme in my life, no matter how I try to post regularly. Since my last full post, I've changed to a new job. I'm now working as a Senior Application Developer for a company which manufactures digital x-ray equipment for veterinarians. It's been quite a lot of fun, and I've gotten to learn a lot.

I've also joined StackOverflow as a true user, and started asking and answering questions there. My WootOff script hit 1800 installs this morning in the wave of a new WootOff over at Woot.com.

This post is actually intended to tell you about some of my experiences using some of the new Google products, so I'm going to stop rambling now, and get to the good stuff.

I've been testing out Google Voice now for several months, and I must say, I absolutely love it. Call presentation has saved me from talking to people I want nothing to do with more than once, and unlimited free texts without cost is awesome. However much I may love this service though, I don't think it will really take off with the general public. It will be great for businesses that need to roll phones around for helpdesk or secretaries. I can also see people like myself who end up carrying up to 3 phones with him quite often using it to consolidate calls to a single phone. The ability to record calls with the press of a button is nice too, but there's a notification that totally sucks. I have an invite to the first 2 people to comment on this post and ask for them.

The other product that I've been testing is Google Wave. Google wave is pretty impressive. It still has a few things they're going to have to work out as of this posting, but the overall interface is quite impressive, and the functionality is astounding. Google Wave allows other users on a wave to see changes as they're made by anyone. Users can also make a "sub-wave" inside a wave, and only include some (or none) of the users on the main wave. Files can be directly inserted into a wave, making collaboration a simple thing. Played right, I can see this platform replacing all social networking sites, email, and chat all in one swift motion.

Until next time!

~md5sum~

No comments: